Big story Companies

De Beers is switching off South Africa's biggest diamond mine for two years

De Beers will suspend production at Venetia, its flagship Limpopo mine, for two years — and on the same day, one of the leading bidders for the company walked away.

De Beers is switching off South Africa's biggest diamond mine for two years

South Africa's biggest diamond mine is about to go quiet. De Beers said on Monday that it plans to suspend production at Venetia for two years, a decision that says less about the mine itself than about how deep the downturn in the diamond market has become.

The company framed the shutdown as part of a wider cost-cutting drive. It insists the move will not dent its overall output targets, because production will be lifted at other operations to compensate.

A market that has stopped sparkling

The $80bn diamond industry has been under sustained pressure for years. What began as a post-pandemic slowdown has been compounded by weaker Chinese luxury spending and the steady march of lab-grown stones, which offer buyers the same sparkle at a fraction of the price. Trade tensions and conflict in the Middle East have added further strain.

De Beers has already cut production in an attempt to prop up prices. It has not worked. An oversupply of stones from Angola, combined with stubbornly soft demand, has undermined those efforts — which is how a company ends up idling its flagship South African asset rather than simply trimming around the edges.

2 yearsHow long Venetia production will be suspendedSource: De Beers$80bnSize of the global diamond industry now under strain

An owner heading for the exit

The timing is awkward, because De Beers is also up for sale. Long-time owner Anglo American is in advanced talks to offload the business after years of disappointing returns that have tested investor patience.

That process is not going smoothly. On the same day the Venetia news landed, Bruce Cleaver — a former De Beers chief executive who had been leading one of the bidding consortiums — pulled his group out.

"I think that with the state of the business and the state of the diamond market it felt like it was difficult to see an appropriate return on investment over the short term," Cleaver told Currency.

"I do believe in the diamond industry, and I do believe in the long-term future of De Beers, but it felt for me and my funders at the time that this was not an appropriate time to continue," he added.

His departure leaves Gareth Penny, another former De Beers boss, as the outright favourite. Penny's bid, backed by major diamond trading houses, would refocus the company on mining and marketing natural stones. He ran De Beers for five years until 2010, steering it through the global financial crisis by idling mines and raising $1bn in a rights offer — a playbook that suddenly looks rather familiar.

What it means

Venetia is a Limpopo operation, and a two-year pause at a mine of that size is felt well beyond the pit — by the workers, contractors and small suppliers whose livelihoods are wired into it. De Beers is careful to call this a suspension rather than a closure, and says group output targets are unchanged, so this is a company managing a price slump rather than abandoning South Africa.

For investors, the read-across is harder. Anglo American is trying to sell a business that is simultaneously shutting its flagship mine and losing bidders. A thinner field weakens Anglo's hand at exactly the wrong moment — and whoever eventually buys De Beers will be buying into a market that has not yet found its floor.

Sources

Join our free daily newsletter

Business news, before your coffee's gone cold.

The markets, the money and the deals that actually matter — in your inbox every weekday at 6:00am. A free, five-minute read.

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.